- SCHLUTER, Andreas
- Andreas Schluter was the leading North German Baroque architect and sculptor, whose position in Berlin was in its way analogous to that of Bernini in Rome. He arrived in Berlin from Poland in 1694 and, after short trips to France (1695) and Italy (1696), he began the decorative sculpture for the Zeughaus (largely executed by others) and also his masterpiece, the equestrian statue of the Great Elector, Friedrich William. This was begun in 1696, cast in bronze in 1700, set up in 1703, and completed by the Slaves made by others from his designs, in 1708/9. It is strongly influenced by similar Italian works, such as the Farnese monuments in Piacenza by Mochi, and the Tacca Four Moors in Leghorn. The monument is now in Berlin-Charlottenburg. His statue of Friedrich III was begin in 1697, and cast in 1698, but was not set up (in Konisberg) until 1802.
Early in the 18th century Schluter was engaged in several architectural undertakings, but they were attended by misfortune and he was sacked in 1706. He accepted an invitation to St. Petersburg in 1714, but died there soon after his arrival.
There are several pieces of his sculpture in Berlin (churches and public buildings) and also in Homburg-Hessen.
- Source: The Penguin Dictionary of Art and Artists (Penguin Reference Books)
- Art Rarities Store
Click Here to Buy Art Prints!
//INDEX// //SEARCH THIS SITE// //AMAZON.CO.UK//