Cyril Edward Power was the eldest child of the architect Edward William Power. From an early age his father encouraged him to draw.
At 18 he was articled as an architect and worked in his father's firm and won awards for his designs, becoming an Associate Member of RIBA by the time he was 30.
In 1904 he married Dorothy Mary Nunn and they set up home in Kenilworth Court, Putney, London. His first child was born the following year and a second child was born in 1908. That same year they moved to Catford, London.
During this time he was involved in the design and construction of various buildings in London including General Post Office and the King Edward VII Building. Also took up positions as an architectural design and history lecturer at the School of Architecture, University College London and at Goldsmith's College, Newcross, London.
His work History of English Medieval Architecture was published in 1912.
At the outbreak of the First World War the couple had a daughter. In 1916, he was commissioned into the Royal Flying Corps. Also designed and executed a War Memorial for the Great Western Railway at Paddington, London.
When the war ended, Power recommenced his architectural practice in Bury St Edmunds. Also began producing watercolour landscapes and townscapes, and drypoints.
In 1921, their youngest son was born. He met Sybil Andrews, and so began a 20-year working relationship. Two years later, the family moved to St Albans.
Elected Fellow of the Royal Historical Society in 1925. That same year helped set up Grosvenor School of Modern Art. It was here that both Power and Andrews learned about linocutting.
Participated in the 1929 First Exhibition of British Lino-Cuts in June at the Redfern Gallery. Subsequently these were held annually. The first exhibition was such a success that exhibitors were commissioned by the Underground Electric Railways of London (later the London Passenger Transport Board) to design a series of posters.
Elected member of the Royal Society of British Artists in 1930. Set up a studio with Andrews in Hammersmith. Three years later they had their major joint exhibition at the Redfern Gallery. Five years later the informal partnership was over and Power moved with his family to New Malden in Surrey.
When the 2nd World War came in 1939, Power worked as a surveyor for the Heavy Rescue Squad at Wandsworth Town Hall. He also lectured on painting and linocutting to the local art society in New Malden and in Kingston.
He died at the age of 79.
- Auckland, New Zealand (Auckland City Art Gallery)
- Canberra (National Gallery of Australia)
- Glasgow (Hunterian Art Gallery, University of Glasgow)
- London (British Museum, London Transport Museum)
- Los Angeles (Grunwald Center for the Graphic Arts, University of California)
- Melbourne (National Gallery of Victoria)
- Miami Beach (Wolfsonian Foundation)
- New York (Museum of Modern Art, New York Public Library)
- San Francisco (Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco, Achenbach Foundation for Graphic Arts)
- Toronto (Art Gallery of Ontario)
- Wellington, New Zealand (National Art Gallery)
//INDEX// //SEARCH THIS SITE//
//TOP OF PAGE//
© 2006 by the appropriate owners of the included material