- Known as: French painter and poet
- Born: January 28, 1879, Paris, France
- Birthname: Francis-Marie Martinez Picabia
- Date of death: November 30, 1953, Paris
- Buried: Cimetière de Montmartre
Francis Picabia may have the claim to have painted the first abstract picture. A watercolour picture from 1908/9 which is now
in the Mus. d'Art Mod., Paris, would pre-date Kandinsky.
He joined the Section d'Or Cubists in 1912, thence Dadaism and in 1924 Surrealism.
He painted anatomically precise nudes forsale in Algiers. He went to the US several times and exhibited
at the Armory Show.
With Duchamp he founded American Dada.
Was a close friend of Gertrude Stein.
Was an avid collector of cars.
- National Gallery of Art (Washington D.C.)
- Paris (Mus. d'Art Mod.)
- Francis Picabia
La Nuit Espangnole
//INDEX// //SEARCH THIS SITE//
//TOP OF PAGE//
© 2010 by the appropriate owners of the included material