About This Dvd. Buy Dvd Review Biog. Gallery Art Store Search Site
Thomas H. Garver, Robert Cozzolino
B O O K
We are based in South London near Croydon, UK, and if preferred this item can be picked up by appointment. Just e-mail here. I also welcome the old fashioned cheque and po as it is cheaper to process and all orders are sent off same day as cheque received.
- Hardcover: 192 pages
- Publisher: Merrell Publishers (September 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1858944562
- ISBN-13: 978-1858944562
- Product Dimensions: 11.2 x 9.7 x 0.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3 pounds
"Painting is an attempt to come to terms with life.
There are as many solutions as there are human beings."
~ George Tooker
ABOUT THIS BOOK:
- One of America's pre-eminent painters, George Tooker (born 1920) is known for his haunting works that evoke the alienation and anonymity of urban life. Working in egg tempera, a Renaissance medium that produces a luminous quality yet requires meticulous application,
Tooker first came to prominence as part of the post-war Magic Realist movement, creating surrealist visions that captured the uncertainty of the Cold War era. Often compared with Hopper and Wyeth, Tooker continues to examine modern life with his disquieting imagery.
This beautifully produced book, published to coincide with the first major retrospective in 30 years, features superb reproductions of
Tooker's timeless paintings, and includes essays offering new perspectives on his passion for composition, his spirituality and his exploration of identity.
- My joy in finding this book is to rediscover Tooker's work beyond his most famous painting, Subway (1950). It is a magical experience turning each page and finding another work - you can just feel how painstaking the process was in creating it. For many of Tooker's admirers in the UK this is the nearest they will get to his work as no major gallery holds his work. Such a shame.
I personally feel that Tooker is one of the greatest artists who ever lived. Where people now rightly marvel at the almost touchable loneliness in a Hopper painting, we should say the same of the characters who adorn his paintings. I've never seen anything like it - art which can change your perception of life just through its unique beauty.
I've loved his work since I was a teenager and hope that as many people as possible will discover this modern master.
- The book contains over 145 paintings of which more than 85 are in full colour. A large (10" x 11"), almost square book.
amazon.co.uk (UK) |
Currently in Stock. About Dvd Buy Dvd Biog. Gallery Art Store Search Site
Top of Page
© Lenin Imports