- Jane Wyman Eve Gill / Doris Tinsdale
- Marlene Dietrich Charlotte Inwood
- Michael Wilding Inspector Wilfrid O “Ordinary” Smith
- Richard Todd Jonathan Cooper
- Alastair Sim Commodore Gill
- Sybil Thorndike Mrs Gill
- Kay Walsh Nellie Goode
- Miles Malleson Mr Fortesque
- Hector MacGregor Freddie Williams
- André Morell Inspector Byard
- Joyce Grenfell “Lovely Ducks”
- Patricia Hitchcock Chubby Bannister
- Ballard Berkeley Sergeant Mellish
- Irene Handl Mrs Mason, Mrs Gill's maid
Whitfield Cook, Alma Reville, James Bridie, from the stories Man Running and Outrun the Constable by Selwyn Jepson
(Warner / Associated British)
[ s t a g e f r i g h t : m o v i e r e v i e w ]
Made in London, the overlooked and under-rated “Stage Fright” stars Jane Wyman as a stage-struck RADA student implausibly forced to play a real-life role in order to solve a murder. Marlene Dietrich is decidedly eye-catching as the jaded international singing star, with Richard Todd on the run as Wyman's former boyfriend.
The film offers frequent tickling diversions from great supporting players like Alastair Sim, Joyce Grenfell and Sybill Thorndike.
It's a comic charade, really — a whodunnit about role-playing and duplicity; even the flashback lies. Hitchcock later admitted to François Truffaut that this contributed to the suspense structure's not being up to his normal standard. But then again, the point of the film lies elsewhere
Stage Fright DVD, 1949
- Actors: Marlene Dietrich, Jane Wyman, Richard Todd, Michael Wilding, Alastair Sim
- Director: Alfred Hitchcock
- Format: PAL, Black & White
- Language: English
- Subtitles: English, French, Italian, Dutch, Arabic, Bulgarian
- Region: Region 2 (UK & Europe)
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 - 1.85:1
- Number of Discs: 1
- Classification: PG
- Studio: Warner Home Video
- DVD Release Date: 4 Feb 2008
- Run Time: 105 minutes
Stage Fright (1949, B&W)
In Alfred Hitchcock's world, theatres are where danger stalks the wings, characters are not what they seem, and that 'final curtain' can drop any second. The droll "Stage Fright" springs from that entertaining tradition. Jane Wyman plays drama student Eve Gill, who tries to clear a friend (Richard Todd) being framed for murder by becoming the maid of flamboyant stage star Charlotte Inwood (Marlene Dietrich). Filming in his native England, Hitchcock merrily juggles elements of humour and whodunit and puts a game ensemble (Alastair Sim, Joyce Grenfell, Sybil Thorndike, Kay Walsh and daughter Patricia Hitchcock) through its paces. No one turns a theatre into a bastion of dread like Hitchcock, and "Stage Fright" is proof positive.
ABOUT THE DVD: This is a release by WARNER HOME VIDEO for the UK market (Region 2 PAL format - which will play on all standard DVD in the UK and the rest of Europe - buyers outside of Europe will need a multi-region player in order to view this DVD). AUDIO is the original ENGLISH language (there are also French and Italian dubbed audio-tracks on the disc) - SUBTITLES on the DVD are in English, French, Italian, Dutch, Arabic and Bulgarian (There are also hard-of-hearing subs for English and Italian languages only) - SPECIAL FEATURES on the DVD are new 'making of' featurette 'Hitchcock And Stage Fright' and the film's original theatrical trailer.
Shipped from UK
- Price: £7.99 (UK Sterling) (New & Sealed)
(Shipped from UK) (Price includes UK postage & packaging. Outside UK please e-mail here with country ordering from for postage quote)
Payment can also be made to Lenin Imports by cheque, po, money order, international money order, cash by registered mail. Please enclose title of item ordering and return address.
5 High Street
- More Hitchcock Dvds
Click here to buy posters!