Julius Schnorr von Carolsfeld was a German painter and illustrator who was in Italy 1817-25 and joined the Nazarener in their decoration of the Casa Massimo in Rome (1820-26). His contribution consisted of a combination of 15th-century Italian frescoes and Raphael, but it was successful enough to get him a commission in Munich from the King in 1825. This, and later commissions, occupied him until 1867. He became a professor in Dresden in 1846 and was alao a Director of the Dresden Gallery. His Bible illustrations were published in an English edition in 1860.