The Green Bridge II
- Known as: German-American Painter
- Date of birth: July 17, 1871 (New York, US)
- Birthname: Lyonel Charles Feininger
- Date of death: January 13, 1956 (New York)
- Though Lyonel Feininger was born and died in New York, he was really a German Cubist. He went to Germany in 1887 and finally returned to America only in 1937 after his work was exhibited by the Nazis in the 'degenerate art' (Entartete Kunst). He was trained in Germany and was in Paris in 1892 - 3.
From 1911 he was interested in Cubism, and Delaunay was the main influence on his painting.
In 1912 he met the members of the Brucke group and the following year exhibited with the Blaue Reiter. He was particularly close to Klee and Kandinsky, and taught at the Bauhaus.
After his return to the US his works become more abstract.
Many German and American museums have examples, as have Edinburgh (N G M A) and Leicester.
- His son, Andreas Feininger, became famous as a photographer of New York City.
- He also drew comic strips as a cartoonist.
- He married Clara Fürst (2 daughters) and then Julia Berg.
//BIOG.// //GALLERY// //PRINTS//
//INDEX// //SEARCH THIS SITE//
//TOP OF PAGE//
© 2014 by the appropriate owners of the included material