/PERICLES, PRINCE OF TYRE/ (1984)
- Dvd Region: 2+4 Pal (UK & Europe)
- Certificate: 12
- Running Time: Approx. 178 minutes
- Type: Fullscreen
Originally Transmitted: 8th December 1984
- Dvd Release Date: 2005
- Released By: BBC Worldwide Ltd.
- Distributed By: DD Home Entertainment
- Format: Colour Dvd Pal
- Language: English
- Subtitles: English sdh
- Audio: Mono
- Format: 4:3
© BBC Television in association with Time-Life
~ All Rights Reserved
Buy Dvd |
Search Site |
Top of Page
A DRAMATIC ROMANCE
In 1978, the BBC set itself the task of filming all of William Shakespeare’s plays for television.
The resulting productions, renowned for their loyalty to the text, utilised the best theatrical
and television directors and brought great performances from leading contemporary actors.
". . . I see that Time’s the king of men,
He’s both their parent, and he is their grave.
And gives them what he will, not what they crave"
When Pericles discovers the terrible answer to King Antiochus’ riddle,
he flees for his life. In self-exile from Tyre he encounters famine, shipwreck, love and
fatherhood . . . but in his desire to return home, he once again jeopardises his life and those he loves.
It is probable that George Wilkins
wrote the first nine scenes of this romance, with Shakespeare making additions and writing the remaining
thirteen. In this production, a great cast makes light of the play’s traditional staging problems and craft a compelling performance.
Enter Gower as Prologue
"To sing a song that was old when sung
From ashes ancient Gower is come,
Assuming man’s infirmities
To glad your ear and please your eyes . . .
. . . What now ensures, to th’ judgement of your eye
I give, my cause who best can justify"
Mike Gwilym Amanda Redman
Annette Crosbie and Juliet Stevenson
Directed by David Jones
Produced by Shaun Sutton
In credits order
- Edward Petherbridge ... Gower
- John Woodvine ... King Antiochus
- Edita Brychta ... Antiochus's Daughter
- Mike Gwilym ... Pericles
- Robert Ashby ... Thaliard, Fifth Knight
- John Bardon ... Lord of Tyre, Fisherman of Pentapolis, Storm Sailor
- Peter Gordon ... Lord of Tyre, Pirate
- Iain Mitchell ... Lord of Tyre, Pirate
- Patrick Godfrey ... Helicanus
- Toby Salaman ... Escanes, Pandar
- Norman Rodway ... Cleon of Tarsus
- Annette Crosbie ... Dionyza
- Christopher Saul ... Lord of Tarsus, Fourth Knight
- Gordon Gostelow ... Fisherman of Pentapolis
- Richard Derrington ... Fisherman of Pentapolis, Gentleman of Ephesus
- Patrick Allen ... King Simonides
- Juliet Stevenson ... Thaisa
- Roger Bizley ... Marshal, Pirates
- Christopher Ravenscroft ... First Knight, Gentleman of Ephesus
- Malcolm Kaye ... Second Knight, Storm Sailor, Brothel Gentleman
- Adam Kurakin ... Third Knight, Brothel Gentleman
- Edward Clayton ... Lord of Pentapolis, Philemon
- Stephen Oxley ... Lord of Pentapolis, Cerimon's Servant
- Valerie Lush ... Lychorida
- Clive Swift ... Lord Cerimon
- Nick Brimble ... Leonine
- Amanda Redman ... Marina
- Trevor Peacock ... Boult
- Lila Kaye ... Bawd
- Patrick Ryecart ... Lysimachus
- Frances Kelly ... Marina's Companion
- Elayne Sharling ... The Goddess Diana
- Rodney James ... Dancer
- Jinty Coventry ... Dancer
- Mandy Demetriou ... Dancer
- Chris Moppett ... Dancer
- Director: David Jones
- Produced: Shaun Sutton
- Adapted: William Shakespeare’s original play
Buy Dvd |
Search Site |
Top of Page
& George Wilkins’
The Painful Adventures
Prince of Tyre
A Dramatic Romance
ABOUT PERICLES, PRINCE OF TYRE
On the 20th Day of May 1608, Pericles was entered on the
Stationer’s Register to Edward Blount; but he did not publish it.
Probably he was allowed to license in the hope of preventing its
publication by anyone else, for it was one of the most popular plays of the period. George Wilkins
published, in the following year a novel, The Painful Adventures of Pericles Prince of Tyre, Being the True History of the play of
Pericles, as it was lately presented by the worthy and ancient poet John Gower’.
The play itself appeared in print in the following year, with an ascription to Shakespeare,
but in a manifestly corrupted text – The play was not included in the 1623 Folio
(perhaps because it was known that Shakespeare
was responsible only for part of it) . . . If the original play had survived it
would rank alongside and be as highly valued as The Winter’s Tale and The Tempest;
as it contains some hauntingly beautiful scenes, notably in Scene 21 in which Marina, Pericles long-lost daughter, draws
him out of the comatose state to which his sufferings have reduced him.
BUY DVD - Apr. 2014 PRICE - 1 LEFT IN STOCK: SALE PRICE:
UK Delivery Price...£5.99 UK Sterling per DVD (UK postage & packaging inclusive). Please note: this will be only delivered to a UK address. Outside UK please e-mail here for postage quote.
Payment can also be made to Lenin Imports in UK sterling by cheque, po, money order, international money order, cash by registered mail. Please enclose title of item ordering and return address.
5 High Street
E-mail to reserve this item if paying by cheque.
Please note: this is a region 2 Dvd and can be played on UK & Europe Dvd players.
Please check your Dvd player can play region 2 Dvds before ordering.
We cannot refund Dvds if they are returned for that reason.
Payment can also be made (£19.99 per Dvd) to Lenin Imports by cheque/po/mo/international money order/cash by registered mail. Please
remember when ordering to state item ordered.
5 High Street
email: firstname.lastname@example.org |
//SEARCH SITE// //SLIMLINE CASE DVD//
//BBC SHAKESPEARE COLLECTION BOXSET//
//TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA//
//TAMING OF THE SHREW//
//HENRY VI, PART 1 - HENRY VI, PART 2//
//HENRY VI, PART 3//
//COMEDY OF ERRORS//
//LOVE'S LABOUR'S LOST//
//A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM//
//ROMEO AND JULIET//
//LIFE AND DEATH OF KING JOHN//
//MERCHANT OF VENICE//
//HENRY IV, PART ONE//
//MERRY WIVES OF WINDSOR//
//HENRY IV, PART 2//
//MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING//
//AS YOU LIKE IT//
//HAMLET, PRINCE OF DENMARK//
//TROILUS AND CRESSIDA//
//MEASURE FOR MEASURE//
//OTHELLO, THE MOOR OF VENICE//
//ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL//
//ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA//
//PERICLES, PRINCE OF TYRE//
//TIMON OF ATHENS//
//HENRY THE EIGHTH//
//TOP OF PAGE//
© 2014 by the appropriate owners of the included material