Victor Pasmore studied at Harrow. He was unable to paint full-time until he was 30. He was forced to take an administrative job at the London County Council when his father died at the age of 19 though he studied painting part-time at the Central School of Art.
In the late 1930s, he became one of the members of the Euston Road group.
Though he did flirt with abstraction in his painting early on in his career, from the late 1930s until 1947 he painted realist work of landscapes and interiors though there were elements in some of these works to suggest the aforementioned interest in abstraction. Included in this realist work were scenes of the Thames painted at Hammersmith and the piece scanned here, Everlasting Flowers (1946).
From the 1950s he made constructions in the manner of Naum Gabo (1890-1977), usually of simply coloured wood and Perspex. He pioneered the revival of interest in Constructivism in Britain following the 2nd World War.
He was also an influential teacher with his course based on abstract designed, He taught in Newcastle and at the Camberwell School of Art, London (1943-49).
In 1955, he was appointed Consulting Director of Architectural Design for Peterlee development corporation.
He represented Britain at the 1960 Venice Biennale.
He was a trustee of the Tate Gallery. He is donated a number of works to the collection.
There are works by him in many British and Commonwealth galleries.
//INDEX// //SEARCH THIS SITE//
//TOP OF PAGE//
© 2006 by the appropriate owners of the included material