- Known as: French Surrealist artist
- Born: January 5, 1900, Paris, France
- Birthname: Raymond Georges Yves Tanguy
- Date of death: January 15, 1955, Woodbury, Connecticut, US (stroke)
Yves Tanguy was originally a merchant seaman. After seeing a picture by Chirico
he decided to take up painting.
Met Jacques Prevert when he was drafted into the army around 1921. He joined the surrealist group in
1925. In 1927, he had his first exhibition.
Emigrated to the US in 1939 and became an American citizen. He lived there for the rest of his life.
Influences on his work included Florentine Mannerism.
His second wife, the artist Kay Sage, committed suicide in 1961.
- Hartford Conn. (Wadsworth)
- New York (Met. Mus., M of MA, Whitney)
- Paris (Mus. d'Art Mod.)
//INDEX// //SEARCH THIS SITE//
//TOP OF PAGE//
© 2014 by the appropriate owners of the included material